Sunday, March 28, 2010

Photo of the Week: Sky Tower at Night (Auckland, New Zealand)


The Sky Tower (around 330 metres in height) in Auckland offers superb views over all of Auckland from its observation deck or revolving restaurant. Somewhat unnerving, the observation deck includes panels of glass in its floor letting visitors look straight through to the ground. Brave folks skyjump from the building in a form of bungee jump via a fixed wire to stop the person hitting the tower itself.

From a distance, the tower stands tall above the Auckland skyline, the rocket-ship top glowing against the darkened night sky.

9 comments:

Gourmantic said...

Looks almost ethereal at night. Well captured :)

Anonymous said...

Great shot but glowingly phalic to me. Did you have a good weekend?

Donna Hull said...

Did you know that "cowardly" visitors to the Sky Tower can have fake photos taken that make it look like they bungy jumped? Great photo.

Mark H said...

@gourmantic: It's ethereal nature struck me too and hence the snapped photo.

@anonymous: Phallic? Not to me.

@donna: I didn't know that. What a strange effort to go to. I guess photos can "prove" anything now.

Sherry said...

Nice shot! I remember hearing about the bungee jump - but I couldn't get up the nerve to do it!
Mark - was this your shot?

Mark H said...

@sherry: Yes, this is my photo. It is taken from a nearby hotel window when I was there for work a few years ago. I put a copyright tag on the bottom left of all my photos and credit any other photos that aren't mine at the bottom of the post.

Anil said...

Auckland Sky Tower or UFO mother ship. Could go either way.

HomeForHome said...

Great picture! It makes me wonder about the magnificent view from up there but I would pass on the bungee jumping.

Mark H said...

@anil: It does have a real space ship look about it.

@homeforhome: I didn't jump either!!

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails