Thursday, December 4, 2008

Travel Website with a Difference - Visa Sponsors Where the Hell is Matt?

A few months ago I wrote about Matt Harding and his website
Where the Hell is Matt. It is a kind of travel blog which took on a life of its own when Matt recorded brief jigs in front of many of the world's greatest travel wonders. Visa sponsored him to travel across Asia for two weeks recording his unique dance in the various countries to make up a new advertisment.

His newest video has attracted over 13 million hits and includes visits to locations as wide spread as Bhutan, Kuwait, Christmas Island, Iceland, Zanzibar, the DMZ in Korea, the iconic Timbuktu, Paris and my home town of Sydney with the Opera House in the background.

I suspect Matt can hardly believe what started out as a bit of fun has resulted in this dramatic change of life.

11 comments:

Martin MY said...

Seen the clip, heartwarming!

Anonymous said...

Hes on Australia TV on a Visa commercial - I bet that paid for a whole lot of travelling! Its a very cool story - just wish I had thought of it first: I can dance much better than him lOL

Advertiser said...

OMG! I just knew that you have already travelled to more than 80 countries! That's the largest figure that I come to know about! So where on earth are you now? :D

I have been to Western Australia before almost ten years ago and I really love the place. However I didn't blog about that cos I don't have any digital photos from Australia. If you like the idea, I hope you can contribute a short article about your hometown in Australia! I will feature you at my blog as the author and of cos linking back to your blog.

No obligation, but I think it will be interesting! If you like the idea, do drop me an email yeah? travelerfolio@gmail.com thanks!

Nomadic Matt said...

i often get asked if i am the where the hell is matt guy.....i wish i was....

Anonymous said...

@martin: Indeed

@over30s: I've seen the ad which is what started the story. His dancing isn't good but I guess that is part of the appeal.

@eunice: Home in Sydney. Let's email re a guest blog piece. Most of my photos are scanned as well - takes time but worth doing to secure them for longer.

@nomadicmatt: I guess there are quite a few of us who secretly wished we'd hit on Matt's good fortune.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes - my only wish is that someone would ask me to do something like this. Well, I may skip the dancing part! *giggles*

Anonymous said...

@lifecruiser: I'd even dance if I had an arrangement like that with Visa.

Michael Tieso said...

I really like the way he put it all together. The music fits in so well and the video itself is just amazing. Something so simple can be so moving.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) said...

Being paid to travel - lucky devil! - smart lucky devil!

Anonymous said...

I like that guy! His vid used to make me laugh and envy him. Then that last one where he was dancing with everyone around the world was just awesome.

Anonymous said...

@skylab: I think the music is superb.

@quickroute: Very fortunate indeed.

@mikec: Everyone dancing seems to help the video a lot.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails