Thursday, December 1, 2011

Drinks Around the World: Spritz (Italy)


Spritz is the name of a variety of drinks but the original hails from Venice and the Veneto region. Created when under Austrian rule (hence its Germanic name), it is made by mixing equal measures of Prosecco wine (a very dry sparkling wine), the bitter liquor, Campari and sparkling mineral water. The Campari gives it a vivid orange colour. Chill with ice and add a slice of orange and an olive and enjoy watching Venice waltz pass (but get out of St Mark's Square to keep the prices in check!!).

I find the drink very refreshing and have seen variations in other parts of southern Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy.
-------
This is the last of a monthly series that has run for two and half years featuring iconic and traditional drinks from various locations around the world. The drinks have varied dramatically including hot and cold beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, some well-known and others unknown to most people.

Photo Credit: drink

6 comments:

Anil said...

Sad to see the series end, I quite enjoyed it.

Mark H said...

@anil: It is time to move on. I am running out of drinks that I assocaite with a specific region that I tried on my travels and have a new idea for 2012.

Heather on her travels said...

I must try this as I love both prosecco and campari - a refreshing summer combination

Mark H said...

@heather: I'm sure you'll love it.

Travelling Paradise said...

Try Ginger Ale with Campari... totally Italian drink!

Mark H said...

@travelling paradise: Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails